Oscar noms came out today…my thoughts go to……
Reformed – Ethan Hawke should have gotten a best actor nod, 100%.
Incredible work on his part. I think he was better than all the guys
who got nominated.
- The Favourite - I agree with all those noms. Awesome movie.
- Roma - I agree with all those too. Loved it! And I didn’t even get to see it in the theater.
- You gotta see it. It’s brilliant. If Spike wins he will not only
deserve it for all the movies he made that haven’t been nominated, He will also
deserve it for this. Adam Driver, finally good again!
- Blindspotting - Didn’t get anything, but should have gotten Best Supporting Actor and best Original Screenplay
- Burning - Korean film, amazing!! Didn’t get any noms though…. A shame.
- Shoplifters - Also great, Japanese film. Glad it got Best Foreign Nom.
- Minding The Gap - Great doc. Really happy for them, especially Bing!! Woo Hoo!
Solo - Another great doc. This movie was visceral and emotional. I
was at the edge of my seat with sweaty palms the whole time.
- Definitely should get best makeup - but otherwise I found it kind of
forgettable. I think they missed the boat with the acting noms, should
have been Steve Carrell not Rockwell.
- Black Panther - 100% should win best costume. Beyond that, it was basically the same as other Marvel movies as far as I’m concerned. Still glad it’s popular though. Seemed to really empower people, which is great!
- A Star
Is Born - DISCLAIMER: I love Gaga, but…. I thought it was a pretty lame, boring and not remotely contemporary
movie. All the hype has made me kind of hate it now. So
that’s definitely the movie that I think got the most absurd noms,
- The one award I would have gotten behind for Star is Born is Best Song IF “Maybe It’s Time” had been nominated. It’s written by one of my fave songwriters, Jason Isbell, and it’s
actually about something interesting and related to the themes of the movie. I think the one that did get
nominated is super lame.
Also not nominated but a must see is The King - a doc about Elvis and America in the 20th century. It’s great!
Movies I have to see:
If Beale Street Could Talk
All 3 of the docs that I haven’t seen
The Wife and Can You Ever Forgive Me - I’m sure both performances are great.
Bohemian Rhapsody - Looked so lame and pointless, but I guess I gotta see it.
Eternity’s gate - Tried like 5 times to see this in theaters and kept not making it. Really wan to see it. Love Van Gogh, Schnabl and Dafoe.
So there you have it!