I love when people style me.
- Being fitted for clothes (like having the person wrap the tape measure around various parts of me), being helped into clothes, having jewelry put on me
- Having my hair touched, washed, combed, cut, brushed, braided, pulled, styled in any way
- Having my makeup done: having eyeshadow, mascara, blush applied
- Having my nails painted (manicure/pedicure)
- Being advised on styles/colors (not in a “you have to wear this”/“you can’t wear this” way, just like someone who has more experience/expertise than you and is giving an educated opinion to help you look your best)
- Being posed, either being told to position myself in a certain way or having parts of my body physically moved
I don’t know why, I just love it. It’s just so pleasant and intimate and relaxing…there’s the physical component of a lot of nice casual touches, and then there’s kind of a social/emotional component of like trusting someone not to hurt you and to make you look good, and just being able to completely relax while an expert takes care of everything. It’s a feeling of being inspected, being paid very close attention, but in a very gentle, loving way. It’s especially nice when it’s a friend or loved one who’s just doing it out of the kindness of their heart; like, I’m not paying you, you’re doing this just because you love me, and that’s so nice and sweet and warm.
Looking pretty at the end is a nice benefit, but it’s almost kind of incidental…that is, it’s so overshadowed by the pleasure of the experience that it seems trivial. If I’m being honest, I get just as much pleasure from having my hair brushed and braided and taken apart and brushed again as I do from having it end up in a distinct style, if not more. I think people sometimes feel bad if they can’t get something right on the first try, but I’m always secretly glad when things take a little longer.
I don’t know if this is an ADHD thing or just a me thing or what, but I actually get kind of easily set off kilter by changes to my person…like even parting my hair on a different side makes me feel off. Whenever I get all dolled up, I always feel a bit stilted. Part of that is, of course, not wanting to accidentally ruin the style by getting shaken or smudged or spilled on or whatever, but there’s also definitely a component of just being hyper-aware of and distracted by an unfamiliar physical sensation. I think this sensitivity is probably what makes being styled so enjoyable for me in the first place, experiencing all those light brushes and tugs and presses on various parts of my body, such a variety of stimulation, but it can make maintaining the end result a bit of an arduous task. That’s not to say that I don’t still value it, but it’s always a relief when I can finally let my hair down, jump in the shower, and reset to factory settings.
I’ve been watching a lot of Bernadette Banner’s videos and fantasizing about what it would be like to be dressed by her…She’s so pretty and she has big Victorian seamstress energy and it just seems like it would be so nice. I hope that’s not weird…