Here’s the latest on the battery eliminator kit box…
Making good progress on the woodworking. I spent some time this afternoon unscrewing all of the components from the pine board that came with the kit so that I could stain and finish it. I decided that it would look weird to have this unfinished board inside this box that looked all nice.
Yesterday I got the 4 legs as well as the front part of the box stained. Did a second coat this afternoon.
Lastly you can see how the purple heartwood is coming along with 2 coats of water based semi-gloss poly.
It took me a while to figure out how to stamp the gold filigree designs onto the wood in a way that would be water proof. Same with the lettering. Eventually I ended up using spray paint. I sprayed the paint into a tray, then dipped the stamps into the paint and applied to the board. Fortunately, when the paint dried, it peeled off the stamps pretty easily, so they were no worse for wear, since they belonged to my wife, and she wanted them usable for her craft projects. :)
Next steps are to apply poly to some of the other parts (3 coats), and a 3rd coat to the sides, then assemble the box. I also have to wire in the power LED… so I’ll have to figure out where I connect that up.