Fossil Free News – November 16
With the final days of 2017 among us, this year will go down as an unprecedented year of devastating climate impacts and assaults from the fossil fuel elite Trump administration…
It will also go down as a year of unprecedented uprising. I’d like to take some time to recognize the victories and resistance in spite of dangerous regression from the US federal government:
- Millions uniting the day after inauguration for Womens’ Marches.
- The strength and resolve of all of us coming together to fight back Trump’s outrageous fossil-fueled cabinet appointees.
- The 200,000 people strong Peoples’ Climate March, where we surrounded the White House showing we won’t back down in the face of the administration’s regression.
- 5,000 New Yorkers coming together to call for real climate leadership from elected officials at all levels of government.
- New York Governor Cuomo and NYC Comptroller Stringer responding to our campaign their
These are just some highlights. These wins are proof that, even in the face of a corporate greedy takeover of the US federal government, people power wins.
Now, on the heels of a New Year, there is no doubt that 2018 must be the year.
- The year of unity – friends, family, neighbors, across our differences.
- The year of ending fossil fuels.
- The year of a fast and just transition to 100% renewable energy for all.
- The year we popularize the inevitability of a fossil free world that works for all of us
All of this, and more, is possible, but only if we come together to demand it.
So much has changed since my first blog post in the days after the 2014 Peoples’ Climate March, but one thing remains true: building the world that puts people and planet ahead of profit and greed IS POSSIBLE.
We have so much work ahead of us. It will be hard. It will feel impossible at times. There will be moments of despair. But it is possible if we strive to recognize glimpses of hope at each moment.
As the brilliant Rebecca Solnit says in her novel Hope In The Dark, “Hope is an ax you break down doors with in an emergency.”
2018 here we come…